Tuesday, January 29, 2008

FO: Salish Sea Socks


Finished these just in time to get the new January kit.
I like the wake pattern on the arch, and I like how the pooling happens on the arch but the socks are mostly stripey. Doesn't it look like the pooling makes an arrow from one arch to the other?
Salish Sea Socks by Cat Bordhi
Socks that Rock Rocking Sock Club December 2007selection
Socks that Rock Medium Weight in Bella Coola
Needles: 2.5mm 2 circs (I don't own 2.25mm)
Began: Jan 12 2008, Complete Jan 26th 2008
Changes: I am not sure the foot circumferences listed in the pattern are right. If I went by them, I should have made an extra large. Indeed, I began an extra-large, but ripped it when I could see it was huge. I wear a women's size 8 shoe, but in reality I have about a size 6 extra-wide foot. So I just guessed and started a size small. They work. Other than that: I didn't do any of the wing stitches, I just reduced back until I had 54 stitches again. The arch was big enough in a size small, and I just made the foot super short. Also did another cycle of ankle stitches for a bit higher sock. Mostly because I was knitting at work without the pattern, and also because I knew there would be extra yarn (short foot) and may as well!

Confession: I know I am on a yarn diet and such (besides the 2008 sock club) but I spent some yarn money on the new Cat Bordhi book. Besides the Salish Sea Sock, I have also made the Flow Motion Socks from Vogue Knitting Magazine. While neither of these 2 socks are in the book, they both use an arch expansion technique explored in her book.

No comments: