The recent three sweaters for two babies have taught me some things:
1) Baby sweaters are wicked cute, especially with cables or lace details.
2) Babies outgrow sweaters faster than you can say... well, anything.
3) Hats: Hats are more practical!
4) Babies outgrow hats faster than you can say how-did-that-huge-head-make-it-past-your-pubic-bone?!?!?!
5) Booties! Booties are practical!
So for my friend's upcoming baby, I made one hat (large) and two pairs booties (small and large), using machine washable cotton for the set. Mama lives here in Hawaii, but upcountry, so booties and hats are useful where perhaps a sweater would not be. Booties are the "Stay-On Baby Booties" pattern, which according to the inner-nets, actually stay on. Purple booties are Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock, in the Muddy Autumn Rainbow color, left over from the December 2008 sock club.
The little girl is being welcomed into a family of water people: He is a fisherman and she is a diver, so baby will be surrounded by ocean themed items!